Monday, January 16, 2017

How Did I Become A Senior Citizen?


Today is my 62nd birthday.  I am often surprised when I catch a glance at the reflection walking by a shop window or look down and ask, who's old woman's hands are those?  What really shocks me? When I open the camera on my phone and accidentally click to reverse the view.  Have you ever held up a mirror above your face with your head tilted back, you look pretty good.  Now bend over and hold the mirror below your face, you have just aged 20 years!  Little aches and pains happen as we age but it's the ones that happen when you least expect that have you swearing. One should not hurt oneself while you are sleeping!

Embracing their age is done so easily by the beautiful older Portuguese women I see wearing dresses, stylish boots, tunics and leggings with little makeup and their hair always pretty, the accessories of hats and scarves make it seem like they stepped out of a magazine.  Fashion here is different than in the US and I like it very much.   I have seen mid to older women wearing fur coats and jackets and no one is having a hissy fit poised with a bucket of red paint to throw on them.  I really admire their poise and beauty.

Women here are naturally curvy and I find it lovely that they are as adored by their men as I am by Vince.  We see generations of couples holding hands all the time and sitting on park benches with arms around each other.   I am proudly living in a place where I am not looked down upon by society for being old and having curves.  I am encouraged and I have decided that from now on I want to be referred to as Goddess! Thank you Portugal!


No matter your age, it is important to play, laugh and see the magic that shows up in front of you.
I took my six year old inner child shopping for our birthday and this is what we picked out!

Hand made paper and painted journal

The most awesome Stan Smith Trainers!

We also got a puppy (hot water bottle) to keep our feet warm at night.







1 comment:

  1. Happy belated birthday! Another thing we have in common, born in 1955:-) I look forward to celebrating with you in 2019 and mine is October 31st so we can celebrate together in 2018!!

    ReplyDelete